Chateau de Charras History
Chateau de Charras History
Chateau de Charras History: In the fifteenth century, Jean de Plouer, Esquire , was lord of Claix and Charras . His daughter, Marie, married François de La Laurencie, in 1493 who became Lord of Charras. The family of the Laurencie possessed Charras until the eighteenth century.
In 1766, Noël-Bertand de La Laurencie was Marquis of Charras, Neuvicq , Baron du Seure , Lord of Maumont and the Metairie of Verger en Macqueville , Herpes , Breuil de Dignac , Les Riffauds , Bourg Claveau. During the French Revolution, he did not feel the need to emigrate and was not worried because of his sickness, but his sister and his wife were however beheaded for “complicity in emigration”. Dark times in Chateau de Charras history.
The castle was built in the 17th century and stands near the church. It includes a vast area. In 1850, a fire partially destroyed it, and it was altered by its owner, a certain Alary, or de Saint-Alary. The central part is old, but it is surmounted by a balustrade. The curved pediment shows the arms of the La Laurencie family.
Chateau de Charras History: The chateau was listed as a historic monument in 1992. The entrance is through an imposing gate and a gate located near the church.
The main building at the back of the courtyard was once confined to pavilions. The main building, south, dated 17th century. It has a broken sided roof covered in slate. The other buildings are covered with canal tiles. A small building occupies the northern part.
To the east of the church, a house with a semi-circular tower is included in a pavilion belonging to the chateau. The cellars were rebuilt to serve as water reservoirs, useful in this arid limestone land.
A stone tower dating from the 15th century called La Tour, the Orangerie, a farm and a series of three terraced houses with separate stairs, walls and handrails known as Le Chai complete the package. Le Chai (pronounced “shay”) is a French word for a wine storeroom; usually it refers to an above ground room rather than an underground.
Chateau de Charras History: Le Chai
Le Chai was a storage room for wine usually in bottles or barrels and was a passive wine cellar. Passive wine cellars were not climate-controlled, and are sometimes built underground or behind very thick walls above ground to reduce temperature swings.
An above ground wine cellar is often called a wine room, while a small wine cellar (fewer than 500 bottles) is sometimes termed a wine closet. The household department responsible for the storage, care and service of wine in a great historical chateau was termed the buttery. Wine cellars date back over 3700 years.
Wine cellars protect alcoholic beverages from potentially harmful external influences, providing darkness, constant temperature, and constant humidity. Wine is a natural, perishable food product issued from fermentation of fruit. Left exposed to heat, light, vibration or fluctuations in temperature and humidity, all types of wine can spoil.
When properly stored, wines not only maintain their quality but many actually improve in aroma, flavour, and complexity as they mature. Depending on their level of sugar and alcohol, wines are more or less sensitive to temperature variances; wine with higher alcohol and/or sugar content will be less sensitive to temperature variance.